Thursday, November 12, 2015

New Job

I start a new job tomorrow! It is with ATT as a premises technician and it pays more than I've ever made.ATT's motto is "Rethink Possible". I love that! It will make a big difference to my life from the way I've struggled in my finances. I am so grateful for the change! I called my mom and dad to let them know that it was in the mix. It has involved a series of hoops so far and I got hired but have a pass/fail test of climbing an 18 ft pole. So there are still some factors. There was a weekly range of pay that they said we could get after going through our background check and when they called me I was over $100 more per week than what was the maximum! I asked how that happened and they apparently just redid the regulations for hiring new people. Before they passed this I would've had to work for a full year (2 pay increases) to earn what I will be starting out at! That feels like incredible news!
ATT invests $80,000 over a period of 3 months of training for this position. I consider it an amazing opportunity to be trained and paid at the same time. i also feel that the actual job will be enjoyable to me. I like the variety and problem solving. I get to wear a lot of hats and including interacting with people in their own homes. I think being in someone's home is incredibly intimate, meaning that you get to know a whole lot about a person just by being in their environment and I think I will enjoy that and have the right personality for it. These are my thoughts and hopes.
ATT also has a lot of room for advancement, according to what they told me at the realistic job presentation.
The presentation was meant to give us a view into what to expect. I knew going into it that it would be similar the first day of my college classes when they would hand out the syllabus and terrify us that this one class was somehow going to be so challenging that it would take me out of the game and be the one to do me in. Then it would wind up being just like every other class I'd ever been in, no harder than the rest. But I sat in this group of 40 or so men, being the only woman, feeling very out of place and listened to them talk about pole tests and other terrifying factors. I got scared. I thought, "I’m too heavy, too feminine, too much, too sensitive, etc, to do this work!"
Finally, I wrestled with myself. I thought "Keri, do not let your fears take you out of the game and determine what you can and cannot do! Let life determine it and don't back down until you hit up against something that is actually a challenge or puts you in red. But right now you are sitting in a room full of men and there is certainly nothing about that that you can't do!"
So I stayed and have continued on to the next step and then the next step, and we will see from there

No comments:

Post a Comment